Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Something Interesting


I recently visited an exhibition by Jeff Gillette called "Dismayland", and I have to say I finally found an artist who tackles themes that are rather similar to my own. 







His works involve an interesting juxtaposition of Disney characters outside the usual plushy confines of Walt Disney created settings, but instead are placed among barren, post-apocalyptic wasteland and decrepit conditions of third world countries. These places remind me of my hometown, Indonesia. 

There is a sense of beauty and surrealism in his paintings. Similar to my earlier works, they have created an illusion of vast space. They made me think. They made me think of the present connection between consumerist images, tourism and entertainment, and the poverty of the slums. 

His art is interesting.

1 comment: